Parol Making Contest Guidelines
Participants will make a parol and show the process by submitting a video and photo entry.
• This contest is open to all Filipino-Canadians in the National Capital Region
• No age limit
Entry categories and requirements:
• All entries must be a video featuring the following:
o Introduction of the participant (name, occupation (if any) or retired or student)
o Presentation of the parol-making process and the complete product
o Description of the materials used to make the parol
o Significance of the parol to the participant (personally and to our Filipino tradition/culture)
• The video must be not more than 2 minutes long.
• A photo of the parol must also be submitted.
• Entries must be submitted to the PCC Facebook page via Facebook Messenger
• Participants may submit more than one entry (1 parol = 1 entry)
• The deadline to enter the contest is on December 23, 2021, 11:59pm.
Selection of winners:
• Voting will be done by a panel of judges from the PCC Board of Directors AND the public (50-50 split).
• The public will vote via a poll on the PCC Facebook page.
• Three winners: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be selected.
• Winners will be announced on January 6, 2022 (Feast of the Three Kings) on the PCC social media sites: website, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube pages.
• Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners:
o 1st place – $150
o 2nd place – $100
o 3rd place – $50
• Prizes will be given to the winners by e-transfer.
Criteria for judging:
• Completeness (video shows complete process of making the parol) – 20%
• Originality and uniqueness of parol– 25%
• Ingenuity – use of native or akin to native Philippine materials or eco-friendly materials 20%
• Symbolism and significance -15%
• Attractiveness of the parol = 20%
Participation in the contest and/or acceptance of a token in the form of cash constitutes permission for the PCC to use, without notice or further compensation, worldwide and in perpetuity, any eligible Participant’s entry, photo, likeness, biographical information, statement, and voice in any and all media for any purpose, including without limitation, advertising and promotional purposes as well as in, on or in connection with the PCC social media sites or the Contest or other promotions, and winning participants hereby release the Contest Entities from any liability with respect thereto (each a “Publicity Release”).
By participating, eligible Participants agree to these official guidelines, which are final and binding in all respects. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, PCC reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the contest